Inguinal Hernia Repair

A new study has shown that in Inguinal hernia cases, surgical intervention can reduce the risk of hospital readmission. While readmission is generally rare anyway, this research does highlight the effectiveness of the surgical repair.

Here, we’ll look at what the new study found and what an Inguinal hernia repair involves.

Understanding the latest study

The new study, carried out by a research team from the University of Arkansas, analysed data from 2010-2014. The data was taken from 14,249 adults that were non-electively admitted for a diagnosis of an Inguinal hernia. Any readmissions that occurred within 90 days were flagged.

A total of 63.13% of patients underwent Inguinal hernia repair surgery, while the other 36.88% of patients had non-operative treatment. The results showed that those who had surgical treatment had a lower incidence of readmission.

When patients were readmitted, 62% were treated surgically. This shows that surgery is often the best course of treatment for initial Inguinal hernia treatment.

What is an Inguinal hernia?

There are a lot of different types of hernias you can develop, and Inguinal hernias are one of the most common. It presents as a small lump or swelling within the groin area, or in men, it can cause an enlarged scrotum.

You’ll typically find that the lump disappears when you lie down and worsens when you are lifting something. Like all hernias, they develop due to weakened walls and structures in the groin area. Tissue can eventually poke out of defects in the abdominal walls causing a hernia.

While they don’t always require surgery to remove them, there are risks of leaving a hernia untreated. These include strangulation and bowel obstruction, both of which can be extremely serious. This, alongside the results of the latest study, show why surgical treatment is often the best approach for an Inguinal hernia.

What is Inguinal hernia repair?

Surgical Inguinal hernia repair can be carried out using open surgery or through a laparoscopic procedure. Both methods offer their own set of pros and cons. However, most repairs tend to be carried out using the less invasive laparoscopic technique. Your surgeon will let you know which method is best suited to your hernia.

It typically takes around two weeks to make a full recovery after keyhole surgery and six weeks for open surgery. However, you’ll usually be able to go home on the same day. To ensure you experience the best recovery, follow the surgeon’s aftercare instructions closely.

You will need to eat a high-fibre diet to reduce the risk of constipation. You should also rest as much as possible for the first week after the procedure. You will be advised to wait a couple of weeks before you resume light daily activities. Strenuous activity should be avoided until you are fully healed.

If you have an Inguinal hernia, book a consultation today to discover the best treatment approach.